Monday, April 27, 2015

William Carlos Williams, “This Is Just to Say” Blog #11

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold
     I was surprised at how simple this poem was. It was so simple that it was challenging to find a meaning behind it. I kept reading this poem over and over again, but maybe I was looking for a meaning that was too deep. This poem could just simply be about a sweet mistake. The attitude of this poem is so nonchalant. The author is basically like "Yeah, I was hungry so I ate your plums, oh well, sorry." He doesn't show any kind of regret or sorrow for eating these plums that the person wanted for later on in the day. I know I would feel bad eating someone else's food, but this guy just doesn't really care. To me, his "forgive me" doesn't sound meaningful because he then goes on to explain why he ate them, because they must have looked delicious. 
     This poem is so different from the rest that I have read. It's actually kind of funny to me how much this guy doesn't seem to care. It's like eating someone's food and then texting them like "hey by the way I ate your food, sorry love ya". I can just imagine if this were a poem in this time period it probably would have been a text. 
    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment