Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Linda Pastan, “Pass/Fail” Reflection

I felt that this poem was very powerful and really spoke to me..just not at first. At first the poem seemed to have a negative connotation because the poem literally says “You will never graduate from this dream of blue books.” That is the first line in this poem and I took that as the poem telling me that I will never succeed. As I continued reading the poem I realized it said that the poem was telling me that I can succeed while awake, but that I may not while I am asleep. After this, I analyzed the poem more in depth and found that what Pastan was trying to say is that everyone has dreams and these dreams may not be realistic and set up harsh situations. I also thought about it meaning that you can’t always learn from books, the real world can teach you just as much as you learn in books and that learning never stops. Even once you reach success you’re still learning and still have a lot more to learn.

After analyzing I now see that this poem actually is not negative, but motivational and moving. Though we may build dreams up for ourselves that are too difficult to pass we can still keep learning and reaching for success, since it really never ends. This poem makes me want to reach for my dreams, not run away from them because of how difficult they seem. In real life there are limits, but in your dreams there are none. That does not mean you can’t still have it in mind, so I believe this poem is great for motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment