Thursday, April 2, 2015

"Mirror" poem reflection

     When I initially read the poem "Mirror"  by Sylvia Plath I was confused with what the main theme of the poem was. The language of the poem was pretty modern and easy to understand, so I liked that aspect of it. When I went through it a second time and used the TPCASTT chart ti analyze the poem better then I could understand the theme. When I paraphrased each line of the poem, I started to understand the meaning better and realize that this poem was about growing old. The theme that I got from Plath's poem was that it is inevitable to grow old, even if you try to lie and convince yourself you still look young regardless you are still growing older each and every day. Also, when I read this poem a second time I interpreted the title better and figured out that the word "mirror" did not just refer to an actual mirror, but anything that shows a true reflection of an image. The lake in this poem was used to reflect the woman's aging face, so it was considered a mirror because it was mirroring her image. I found that after close reading it helped my understanding a lot better for when I answered the questions.

     When I got to answering the questions, for me it was more difficult answering the form and structure questions. Asking about the shifts in the poem and also specific words. One of the questions asked what the antecedents of the pronoun "us" in line 9 were and I did not quite understand that question. I feel like I need more practice in word analysis and grammar.

     Some questions that I did understand were questions more along the lines of theme and what the poem meant as a whole. I've had a lot of practice in that area so I feel more confident in those type of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment