Thursday, April 2, 2015

"We Real Cool" Poem Reflection

     The poem "We Real Cool" by Gwendolyn Brooks is very short, but it is easy to understand and it really brings out the personality of the author. I can tell that this poem is true and reflects the experiences Brooks most likely had while growing up going to school. While going through the list of poems, I saw the title of this one and it drew me in. I picked it because I could tell from the language that it would be an old African-American cultured poem, most likely from around the jazz era. It reminds me of the same language that was used in the short story we read "Miss Moore". I really love the realness of this poem and it is relatable to teens. It shows rebellion and curiosity and carelessness that a lot of teens display. The last line says "We Die Soon." and to me, that really shows how careless teens were and they pretty much just wanted to have fun. Back in those days they just had fun and lived life. I really loved how short, simple, to the point, and real this poem was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment