Thursday, April 9, 2015

"Those Winter Sundays" by Robert Hayden

    This poem is very confusing with how it is broken up in each stanza. You have to read this poem how it is with the commas and not by how it ends at each line. The end of each line isn't really where the end of the sentence is. I found the attitude of this poem to be pretty laid back and cool toned. I think the last two lines is what interested me the most in this poem. They read, “What did I know, what did I know of love’s austere and lonely offices?” It makes me question why Hayden repeated “what did I know”. I believe it may be because he is really trying to figure out why his father is so strict. He questions and is not sure if it is because he loves him. This poem is about Hayden’s father and how he did a lot even though no one thanked him and he struggled physically sometimes. Hayden is saying how love is so strict and actually causes him to be lonely, the way his father expresses his love is the reason why he feels this way towards love. I feel like the author of this poem is depressed and unhappy with his life. He seems emotional and like he doesn’t have a good connection with his father. This poem just gives off a very emotional vibe once it comes to the last two lines and I actually like how it leaves off in that way. I like how it starts of simple by describing his father and his duties then ends on his own thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment